Kick off 2012 with your MVPs

Blessing Oshin January 4, 2012 18

Alternative title: How Your Most Valuable Players can Help You Accomplish Your Goals in 2012

I have decided not to write New Year Resolutions this year. I just got back from the gym and there is no one there, plain and simple. But fast-forward to Jan1, I am pretty sure you will find the fitness classes packed, everyone in new set of gym clothes, ready to kick ass in 2012.  Their excitement dies quickly as soon as NFL becomes more intense and Superbowl is also right around the corner. We start to rationalize and make excuses of lack of time and, or at least there is always more time. Before you know it, its December and we bring out our pens again writing yet another resolution that lacks charisma, intensity, follow-through and a must-do attitude.

Here is what I plan on doing instead. I plan on focusing on three things this year, and why three things? Because I have noticed a trend in my own life that I can only juggle three things successfully in a given period. I plan to focus on my career, family and fitness goals.

The next step is to identify my MVPs for these three goals, because trust me, we all need MVPs on our team to help us move things faster, quicker and thoroughly. In your career, how do you ensure that your MVPs are advocating for you, helping you sought that next raise, promotion, international assignment, and so on? Here is a really quick strategy, bring out your calendar and choose five to six people that you want to have lunch with in 2012 that could potentially help advance your career. Is this your boss, an executive member that you only talk to once or twice every year, a friend in a career that you think might be a good fit for you, that guy you are always on a conference call with but you have never met him? Step outside your comfort zone, and send out an invitation. The worst they can say is no or reschedule. And thats okay, recognize that people are busy and they may need time to fit a lunch into their schedule.

I have tried these techniques and its never failed me. Every once in a while, I ask a top executive to lunch and we get to talk about their careers and before you know it, they are mapping out a career path for me. And honestly, that is how you get people to recognize your value, notice you and advocate for you. Its the easiest shortcut in my opinion.

Secondly, when it comes to my family, I will be scheduling some kind of dialogue night with my husband where we talk about our lives, careers and plans. Its going to be once a month, at a nice upbeat location, just us. This is the first time i’ll be doing this, so I will let you know how it goes. And with my daughter, we will spend time creating fun and adventures on weekends, and even on some occassions, we may go on a girls outing.

Lastly, my fitness goals involves me and the gym, track, and fitness instructor, etc. Sometime last month, Boss Mom Online suggested getting a personal trainer and I am leaning towards that idea simply because I am willing to try something different and maybe since the personal trainer could be my potential MVP, I could get more value out of that relationship.

Who are your MVPs, and how do you plan on getting the most out of them in 2012?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18 Comments »

1. Portia December 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Blessing, these sound like great goals! Like you, I don’t do New Years resolutions any more. I just have a few things I make a commitment to and write them out in my journal. I’ve done this every year for the past few years and it’s worked for me. I had to crack up about your gym being empty. It’s the same for my gym but I promise you, it will be standing room only next week LOL! Love the photo of you and your little girl. She gets cuter and cuter! Go, mom!
    Portia recently posted..Give a Child a Shot@Life: Support Vaccines for Healthy ChildrenMy Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 27, 2011 at 7:20 am - Reply

Yeah, I was shocked at the sight of an empty gym which finally seals the opinion I have about weight-loss new year resolutions, its a fad. Hope you had a great Christmas.
      Blessing Oshin recently posted..Kick off 2012 with your MVPsMy Profile

2. miss donna December 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm - Reply

in 2011 i mapped out goals based on three words. that’s it. everything i wanted to accomplish centered around those words and i could assign personal and professional tasks to each word. i loved it and am continuing on with it in 2012. i like your strategy of scheduling time with people who can help you achieve your goals. that’s something i’ll definitely be more mindful of. thank you for sharing.
    miss donna recently posted..DonnaismMy Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm - Reply

I am yet to choose my words for 2012, but I am very sure networking would be one of them. Increasing my visibility is definitely key in the upcoming year.
      Blessing Oshin recently posted..Kick off 2012 with your MVPsMy Profile

3. Steph from Be Positive Mom December 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm - Reply

I outlined my 2012 goals and having those MVPs part of the goals process is so important. I really like how you wrote about MVPs. We need the support, especially when we are doing something outside of the “box”.. the cubicle or office box :-) Looking forward to learning more with you in the New Year!
    Steph from Be Positive Mom recently posted..Your New Year In The Making – Part IMy Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Thanks Steph. MVPs are definitely important in helping us advance……we can’t do it all. Looking forward to connecting as well.
      Blessing Oshin recently posted..Kick off 2012 with your MVPsMy Profile

4. Denise December 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm - Reply

I like this idea. Especially choosing those 5 or 6 in advance, because I think it’s about quality connections, not quantity. I know some people go overboard with networking to help advance in business, trying to connect with too many, but focusing in on those few key people is a smart approach.

Great thoughts here!
    Denise recently posted..A Few Favorite Finds of 2011My Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Thanks Denise, I love your explanation of quality vs. quantity, a salient point in my post. I don’t want to go overboard, just a few key people and even if I have to travel to see them, it will be well worth it.
      Blessing Oshin recently posted..Kick off 2012 with your MVPsMy Profile

5. Cam - Bibs & Baubles December 29, 2011 at 1:41 am - Reply

I absolutely love all of these!!! I share some of these same goals. I’ve been planning meetings at the office. Looking forward to seeing how things map out!
    Cam – Bibs & Baubles recently posted..The New Year PlanMy Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 29, 2011 at 2:09 am - Reply

Yeah, would love to see what your goals are…..I figure most of us working moms want thesame thing anyways.

6. Kelly December 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I love how you put it! It is so simple, yet everyone makes it so hard. I never do New Year’s Resolutions either. My husband and I throughout the year sit down and write out our goals for the year, 5 years, and 10 years. Each year we look back on what we accomplished and if any of our future goals have changed. I like your idea of scheduling on your calendar. I will be taking this advise. You will be on my calendar for another lunch this year! LOL Thanks for all your help.

• Blessing Oshin December 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm - Reply

Absolutely Kelly, I will love to do lunch every now and then. short-term and long-term goals are definitely important as well, and its great when you have a supportive spouse who shares thesame vision. Thanks for reading.

7. Kathy Sykes December 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm - Reply

I am planning on making a vision board for my business and my top four list for everything else. If I can stick to that, I will be doing good. My top four list includes what I am going to do for: God, Myself, Family, Business (in that order). If I stay in line with what God has planned for me, all of the rest will fall into place. Love this post.
    Kathy Sykes recently posted..Your Virtual Pharmacist! 8 Spices That Ward Off Disease!My Profile

• Blessing Oshin December 30, 2011 at 9:32 am - Reply

Kathy, I love your goals in that order and I love the emphasis on your spirituality as well. I pray the new year brings you joy and happiness.

8. stephen budd January 1, 2012 at 11:42 pm - Reply

I just found your blog through Farnoosh. Did you ever think your mom named you correctly? Blessing? Perfect! I’m a single dad & this blog seems to be more for moms but the info is universal: parenting, fitness, life, etc. Thanks for this post. I like your idea of the “big 3′ for this year. I decided to do a daily resolution. Each day I pick something simple & focus on it that day with the idea of my over-riding goal in mind. Today was pampering myself day. LOL I took my daughters to breakfast and we just enjoyed the Florida sun. Tomorrow I’ll pick something else. who knows maybe pampering again. LOL
    stephen budd recently posted..Funniest 6 Minutes On TVMy Profile

• Blessing Oshin January 2, 2012 at 10:48 am - Reply

Stephen, I love when others (not working moms) find my blog useful. Thanks for the thoughtful comment. Daily resolutions are in my opinion far more rewarding. I am so jealous you are basking in the florida sun. I studied at UF and I enjoyed my five years in the sunshine state.

9. Alicia @MommyDelicious January 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm - Reply

These are great goals for 2012… and beyond! I love the idea of MVP’s. I always try to identify a couple “mentors” and sit with them to pick their brains on how THEY did it. Because it helps me have a better understanding about what I need to do.

Leave A Response »